Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Not Your Daddy's Country

I think I am gonna live , well , maybe . Still recovering from the flu that I had all last week .It has settled into my chest . I thought I was gonna die a couple of times . I remember thinking once or twice it might not be such a bad thing if I did .

So, in between sleeping and coughing up my lungs last week , I played cards on the computer to pass the time . I like to listen to music at the same time . This was perfect. A while back a friend had given me a load of mixed music to download onto my computer .I have been lazy, never getting around to breaking it up into genre's . SO , while listening to the music , I decided I would do just that , categorizing hard rock , rock , indie , jazz, blues , classical , and country into separate files .

Aaaah , I rediscovered country . Never was a big country fan growing up , and really never found it interesting until the whole Urban Cowboy thing came along in the 80's. Of course everyone in Houston became a cowboy when John Travolta came to town and Mickey Gilly's to film that movie , even me . I had a hat, boots, the whole nine yards ! But so did all of Houston , even the Yuppies ! LOL ! But after the fad passed I put the hat in the hat box on the top shelf of my closet to gather dust out of sight . That was my very short lived affair , well not a affair really, it was more like a flirtation, with country music .

I sat listening to all these different genre of music sneezing , snuffling among a mountain of crumpled tissues, coughing until I was blue in the face ,when I had a Eureka moment ! I rediscovered the NEW COUNTRY music . It is New and definitely Improved . I heard all about "Acky Breaky Heart"s , "Boot Scootting Boogie"s , saying "Good Bye To Earl".One husband asked his self "What Kinda Gone" was his wife talking about as she slammed the door on her way out . I heard THE song , the one that spoke to me ( truthfully , I ashamedly admit there were a ton of these ! LOL ) but this one made me remember all those times when I wanted to say "Gone " to Moe , too . It made me laugh . A woman declares she is out the door and on her way "Down In Mississippi Up To No Good" . Sort of a Thelma and Louise thing with her and her friends. I became reacquainted with "I Love A Rainy Night" which brought back a flood of wonderful memories of rainy nights gone by . A different song finds another husband worrying how "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off " when he hears his wife is going to have a Girls Night Out . Country has come a long way from Your Daddy's country music . I tried to include links so you could enjoy these songs too , but didn't manager to get it to work . Maybe if you haven't already heard these songs you might investigate them on your own and find a whole new world waiting for your adventurous soul .

1 comment:

lisa said...

I did become adventuresome and am now an emotional basket-case, lol!!! (I seem to have discovered some of the sad love songs!)

My oldest daughter listens to quite a bit of country music and I've often teased her about it, but you are so right - it's not the country of the 80's! The down-to-earth, raw honesty is something I think everyone can relate to.

Off to dry my eyes!!!