Thursday, May 8, 2008

Now You See It , Now You Don't

I had a surprise today . I drove over to visit my friend and got lost . She only lives two streets over from me . I have been to her house so many times I could draw a map in my sleep to her house, but today I got lost . WHY ???? Her sister in laws house across the street from hers was torn down yesterday .That meant the whole face of her street looked so different that it was unrecognizable . First thing , the house that was in the middle of the street, was gone now . Second the palm trees were all gone . The pile of rubble was so high that I didn't even notice my friends house as I drove by .I was busy wondering what had happened to the neighborhood .I noticed I had passed up my turn off when I came to the end of the street .I turned around and looked closely this time .Imagine my surprise when I discovered what had happened . I had driven by there two days ago and all was normal .

I had some errands to run in another part of the City today also .This time I am driving down a street I use almost every other day . I notice a gap in the shops on my right hand side of the street .Two days ago there had been shops there , now there was nothing . A new street in the making .Amazing ! Just like that a new road . Wonder if they will ever get around to naming the streets here . A few streets have names and in certain area's you will even see street signs on the sides of buildings .But mostly you go by land marks here when giving instructions to people coming to your home or places of interest .Now all the land marks are gone , what will we do ? Tell people to go to the 3rd pot hole in the long and wending road by the white multi storied building with gold windows ? Tee hee !

Once some of the American women were met by people of the US government here in Libya. They wanted our home addresses in case of a emergency to contact us .Imagine our amusement when faced with that request . Then we were asked to draw a map to our homes . That was a even more difficult request to fulfill than the addresses . LOL !!I don't think many of us complied with those request because of the impossibility of it all . Maybe once all these new roads are built , named, and a city map is drawn up we will be able to comply , but until then ..... you go down the long road with the big hole in it , turn left at the crocked tree , go 2 kilometers down that road , take a sharp turn right at the wall that has collapsed ...... Can't wait to see you there , LOL !

1 comment:

Benghazi Citizen said...

Tell people to go to the 3rd pot hole in the long and wending road by the white multi storied building with gold windows )
THAT WAS REALLY FUNNY..
WELL,,LIBYA IS ALL ABOUT DEMOLITION THESE DAYS....
AND I JOIN YOU IN THE ADRESSES ISSUES..WE DONT HAVE EVEN A POST CODE..SHAME..
WELL,,HANG ON THERE
BE WELL
REGARDS